As geographers, we aim to provide pupils with a deep understanding of place, space and environment. We aim for a geography curriculum which should inspire a curiosity and fascination about the world and its people and to develop a deeper understanding and respect for the world and the world’s people. Our teaching equips pupils with knowledge about places and people; resources in the environment; physical and human processes; formation and use of landscapes. We also want children to develop geographical skills: identifying patterns; collecting and analysing data; using maps, globes, aerial photographs and digital mapping to name and identify countries, continents and oceans; and communicating information in a variety of ways. We want children to enjoy and love learning about geography by gaining this knowledge and skills, not just through experiences in the classroom, but also with the use of fieldwork and educational visits. It is our hope that all pupils will use their geographical skills to participate fully in, and make a positive contribution to life in our society.
At Curbar, we promote pupils’ SMSC development through geography in the following ways:
– We promote a sense of wonder and fascination with the physical and human world.
– We reflect on their own beliefs and experiences as they encounter different societies and cultures in their learning. We aim to captivate pupils by giving them opportunities to discover their place in a unique, diverse and wonderful world.
– We equip pupils with the knowledge, skills and values to become critical thinkers, in order to make informed decisions on local, state and national issues as future citizens. Pupils develop a sense of accountability and responsibility as custodians of the world.
– We present a curriculum that involves the study of real people in real places. Pupils gain a deeper understanding of human life and an appreciation of diverse cultural traditions and places. This allows pupils to develop a sense of humility and empathy with others.
– We use geography to broaden pupils’ horizons by developing a sense of their place in the world. We aim to inspire pupils’ curiosity and fascination about the world and its people that will remain with them for the rest of their lives.
Please click on the Geography milestones (progress steps) below: