We aim for every pupil to enjoy and express themselves through the teaching and learning of RE- learning about religion and belief but also learning from religion and belief. We are aware that our profile is mainly white and broadly Christian based and our children need to be able to take their place in an outward, multi-cultural and multi-faith world. We believe that a high-quality RE curriculum will promote the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of pupils at the school and prepare pupils for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life within the wider world. The principle aims for RE at Curbar is to enable pupils to participate in an on-going search for wisdom, through exploring questions raised by human experience and answers offered by the religions and beliefs of the people of Derbyshire and the wider community, so as to promote their personal development. We follow the Derbyshire SACRE scheme of learning to support class teachers in delivering all aspects of the curriculum.
At Curbar, we promote pupils’ SMSC development through religious education in the following ways:
– We develop the pupils’ ability to be reflective about their own beliefs and perspective on life.
– We develop a knowledge of and respect for different people’s faiths, feelings and values.
– We develop a willingness to reflect on their own experiences.
– We teach pupils about themselves, others and the wider world in imaginative and creative ways.
– We consider the consequences of pupil behaviour and actions on others
– We recognise the difference between right and wrong, applying this to their lives.
– We appreciate the viewpoints of others in regard to ethical issues.
– We engage and cooperate effectively with people from a diverse range of belief systems.
– We develop a mutual respect and tolerance with those of different beliefs and faiths.
– We understand the wide range of cultural influences in their heritage and that of those around them, appreciating the things we have in common.
– We participate and respond positively to creative, artistic and musical opportunities.
– We explore and celebrate cultural diversity locally, nationally and globally.
Please see the RE long term plan for the school below (on a two year cycle):
Please click on the RE Milestones (progress steps) below: