We believe that a happy pupil is a good learner and that happiness as well as mental and physical wellbeing should be ends in themselves. We provide a warm and caring environment that nurtures confidence, self-esteem, kindness and support, whilst challenging our pupils to develop resilience and perseverance and to be respectful of beliefs, customs and practices of others.
When planning our curriculum, at the very forefront, is the absolute desire to excite and challenge all pupils whilst providing them with the essential knowledge, understanding and skills necessary for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences they will undoubtedly face in life beyond Curbar. Determining the design of the curriculum (including the concepts and skills pupils must grasp), are the end points our school wishes the pupils to reach. Since knowledge exists in rich schemata, we ensure that our pupils are taught concepts and skills in an order that enables them to make useful connections. Within our school curriculum, vocabulary plays a significant part in embodying and communicating concepts through reading, exploration of new vocabulary and its meaning within context that stimulates our pupils’ thinking.
Underpinning our curriculum design and sequencing is our school’s vision. We value every child and every moment and therefore our curriculum is structured to ensure that our pupils can be the best that they can be by providing them with the building blocks of what they need to know, remember and be able to do to succeed.
Our curriculum allows for pupils to experience life in all its fullness – it goes beyond Curbar and helps them to develop a good understanding of their role in society and the world in which they live recognising and appreciating the past, present and future.
Our curriculum is delivered through:
- A thematic approach that is flexible and adaptable to the meet the needs of our individual pupils alongside the discrete teaching of reading, writing, grammar, spelling and maths.
- Planned opportunities to teach and revisit key skills, knowledge and understanding in order to secure learning and ensure progress as well as opportunities to learn new knowledge when new concepts are connected with what has already been learned.
- An approach which allows for feedback to be provided at the point of learning.
- Memorable experiences to hook and engage our pupils into their learning.
- Quality key texts that promote the use and development of rich vocabulary.
- Provide opportunities to develop oracy skills through a range of exciting speaking and listening opportunities and challenges.
- Opportunities to develop pupils social and emotional skills.
- A strong community approach with pupils at the very heart.
Through the teaching of our curriculum, we aim for every child to grow and flourish and leave Curbar with a strong sense of well-being as well as the knowledge and skills to help positively shape the society in which they will live.
Despite school partial closures in the past, our curriculum continues to be broad, balanced and include the essential knowledge and skills whilst at the same time working to recover missed learning that is essential for our pupils to progress. The intentions of the curriculum are deeply rooted within the work of the school where approaches are adapted to meet the changing demands in society whilst ensuring we serve our children and community with a bespoke core.